Retro: How many Retro pens and products do you own:
Aaaron: I have 800+ pens and many desk accessories, games and displays. I am only a handful away from owning at least one of every Retro 51 Tornado model ever made (excluding the one of kinds). I actually fear the day I do have them all, because it is so much fun finding ones I don’t have.
Which Retro was your first one? Was it a gift or purchase for yourself?
I purchased my first Retro 51 Tornado, which was a “Denim” lacquer roller ball, at a Franklin Covey store in the mall in San Jose, CA.
What characteristic about our products are you drawn to?
Retro 51 Tornado pens are well designed, high quality and offered at a great value. Naturally I really enjoyed my first Tornado and all the others since.
The other attraction is the story behind the Texas-based company. If anyone out there hasn’t read the Pen World article , I highly recommend it.
Do you have a favorite or a top five favorites?
My favorites are the Ceramics, Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, Woods, Cioppino (Abalone shells), Acrylics, Atomic Series (PVDT Plating), Anitque Metalsmith Series and Sterling. Sorry for going way, way past 5.
How long have you been collecting Retro 51’s?
Shortly after I bought my first in 2006.
What made you start collecting Retro products?
A pen I like in so many cool finishes and themes, I had to have more. I started my collection by adding the Franklin Covey Denim pencil, then the other lacquers, then the Disco Groove Writer. It just continued on from there. The Poppers are especially fun to hear about since they come at random times and are a complete surprise.
Which Popper theme do you think we need to come out with next?
Here are a few ideas:
1. Materials –gold, gem stones, marble, granite, metamorphic rock, glass, silicon ingot, sand
2. Planetary Series
3. Weather Series (How about a Tornado Tornado?)
4. Musical Series: music notes, musical instruments, guitar fret, piano keyboard, etc.
5. National Parks / Monuments / Popular Places In World Series
6. Holiday Series
7. Hobbies / Fitness / Entertainment Series
8. Foods Series – I loved the ice cream and donuts pens you designed but never made; a watermelon with seeds design would be cool)
9. A circuit board design, schematic design
What is your next Retro 51 purchase?
Hopefully one of the ones I am missing. 🙂